Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is the delivery of television content over Internet Protocol (IP) networks. This is in contrast to delivery through traditional terrestrial, satellite, and cable television formats. Unlike downloaded media, IPTV offers the ability to stream the source media continuously
Internet Protocol television (IPTV) is a system through which tv services are delivered using the internet protocol suite over a packet-switched network such as a LAN or the internet, instead of being delivered through traditional terrestrial, satellite signal, and cable television formats.
- Live television with or without interactivity related to the current TV show;
- Time-shifted television: catch-up TV (replays a TV show that was broadcast hours or days ago), start-over TV (replays the current TV show from its beginning);
- Video on Demand (VOD): browse a catalog of videos, not related to TV programming.
- Time Shift: We can watch last 7 days programs and it can be auto recorded.
- Live TV Controller: Rewind, pause and play even while watching live TV broadcast.
- Video on Demand (VOD): We can Rewind, fast forward, pause and play the latest blockbusters as per our convenience. It is like watching movie on DVD player.
But IPTV technology is different. IPTV has a complicated network architecture. Primarily IP multicasting with Internet Group management Protocol is used for live television broadcast while Real-time streaming protocol is used for on demand programs.
Based on this architecture, IPTV transcodes from traditional signal to IP friendly signal. So, content (shows, movies) are sent to the viewer through internet connection, they can watch video on demand instead of finding and using a recording device. Viewers will watch not only what is being broadcast. To watch other programs, the only thing you have to do is let IPTV provider know. Content you want will be sent to you immediately because that content remains on the service provider’s network.
Network that IPTV content is delivered over is managed or dedicated. Using a private network has more advantages than the public internet. Service operator can control traffic of video, the ability to ensure quality of service, reliability as well as active time.